Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Thank You for Flying Air Zoe

Thank You for Flying Air Zoe by Erik Atwell

Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: tour, so-cute, funny, posted-on-blog
Read from July 19 to 20, 2012

Zoe Tisdale is on her way home from one of her many business trips, when the plane starts to have problems. As Zoe sees her life flash before her eyes, she realizes that the most important--actually, the only--time of her life worth recalling were her high school years, when she and her three best friends formed the 80's girl band, The Flip Flops. When Zoe touches down safely, she makes up her mind to get the Flip Flops reunited--which will be easier said than done since they are all 40-somethings now.

As Zoe tells the girls about her plan to get them playing again, she meets with resistance from every single one. But she is determined to fulfill her lifelong dream of having The Flip Flops play L.A.'s famous Whisky A Go Go club...no matter what she has to do to make it happen.

This was such a fun summer read! I'm quite a bit younger than the gals in the book but I could still appreciate the 80's nostalgia--I am a huge Go-Go's fan thanks to my mom.

I loved all four of the girls. Our narrator, Zoe, is stuck in a rut in her life, job, and relationship. A near death experience brings this fact to the forefront, but she knew it before the plane almost crashed. It also took something like that to happen for her to appreciate the GOOD things she had. Her best friend Lauren is loyal and smart, and is the perfect mature counterpart to Zoe's sometimes immature tendencies. Ginger is just a hilarious, hot mess. But underneath, she truly is a good person and wants people to like her. Melinda rounds out the group by giving them the mellow vibe that is sometimes just what they need when the girls get all wound up.

Some parts of this book were really laugh out loud funny. Pretty much every time Ginger opened her mouth, she said something (unintentionally) funny. Zoe is impulsive and her decisions don't always turn out the way she expects. Humor ties all four of the girls together in a lifelong friendship.

I have to say I didn't really agree with a couple of the decisions Zoe made, but I suppose in a mid-life crisis, making totally uncharacteristic moves is what one is supposed to do. But, everything comes together fabulously in the end.

I hope I am as totally awesome as the Flip-Flops when I reach their age, and I hope they keep on rocking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thank You for Flying Air Zoe.

07/19/2012 page 50