Tim's Reviews > Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic

Condensed Chaos by Phil Hine

Nov 25, 08

bookshelves: occult-magick
Recommended to Tim by: My higher power, my true self, a half eaten bagel and a talking
Recommended for: Anyone searching for the Truth
Read in November, 2008, read count: 2 and counting

Having been a solitary pagan for a the last three years, and after changing paths several times over, through whatever process exists (if any), I came across Condense Chaos. It is a pragmatic and easy to understand short manual on what magic is, what it isn't, how anyone with the desire can learn to apply magic to their everyday lives and most importantly, the lifting of the 'occultic secret veil' that seems to permeate nearly every book written on the subject of magic.
Phil Hine writes in a concise way that defines the Chaos path, but not in a hand-holding spoon fed method. He points out (thankfully) that achieving gnosis is required for any ritual, rightfully putting the responsibility on the reader. No 'fluffy-bunny let's hope that everything kinda goes my way' pablum here!
An issue that he dealt with which seems to be left out of many books of this nature is that of faith. Do I have to believe in a ritual (or at least the desired outcome) if it is to work? Not in my experience, and not in the way that Phil encourages Sigil magic rituals. Is it necessary for a patient to have faith in a doctor to repair his mangled limb? No, he just simply has to allow the doctor to perform, and the action takes care of the problem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Condensed Chaos.