Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > The Duke and I

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: adult, historical-romance
Read from July 19 to 22, 2012

"Save your pathetic words," Anthony spat. "I'll see you at dawn."

Please let there be a duel. Pleeeeaaasssse let there be a duel.

One sec, flipping the page. *pause* duel.

"I've always known that I wasn't the sort of woman men dream of, but I never thought anyone would prefer death to marriage with me."

3.5 stars. I would have definitely gone for a solid 4 star had there been a duel. What a missed opportunity that was! There are more brothers in this family; it wouldn't have been a big deal to off one of them.

So, I am no longer a Quinn virgin. The seduction is complete. Gonna take a sec and stub out this "we made it official" cigarette so I can write my review.

Summary in a sentence : A duke who was abused and shunned in his childhood because of a speech impediment grows up to be a handsome young man that pushes away the one woman who sees him for more than what his father made him out to be.

Truth be told, I wasn't a fan of the first half of this book. The banter was lackluster, the sexual tension was almost nonexistent, and not a whole lot really happened.

Who knew that a failed duel scene would be the turning point of the story? I have no idea what happened, but once Daphne rode in on her horse, ready to throw herself in the way if necessary in order to stop her brother and the man she loved from shooting themselves, it was as if life had suddenly been breathed into the dying tale. From there on out, it became fun. All of a sudden, Daphne and Simon were actually worth reading about.

I liked seeing a few reminders of other series I've enjoyed in the past. The Bridgertons came along before series like The Hathaways and The Luxe but since I read the latter 2 series beforehand, I had a smile on my face when I noticed the "gossip column" segments as chapter headers (Luxe), then later couldn't help but get excited over the possibilities of seeing what's to come in the future for the siblings of the main character (Hathaways). I especially can't wait for Colin's story. He sounds like the fun and careless rake : Colin's one-shoulder shrug matched his lopsided smile to perfection. The mother is also a riot. Her dialogue in the scene where she's explaining to her daughter what happens on the wedding night was priceless.

Addressing the somewhat controversial scene... Okay, so I'd seen mention of a scene in this book which might raise an eyebrow for some people. I understand that had the roles been reversed, it would have been an extremely difficult scene to read. I don't mean to fall into the category of double standards because I do agree that the manipulation was extremely wrong. It just didn't anger me the way it did others. She made a bad choice in the moment and did end up having to pay for it to some extent, so at least she was partially held responsible for her actions.

Sexy time was eventually sexy. The steam factor wasn't off the charts and it took a while before I even felt the heat between this couple but it got there at some point.
As his hands moved to his trousers, he saw that she was pulling the bedsheets over her. "Don't," he said, barely recognizing his own voice. Her eyes met his and he said, "I'll be your blanket."

Overall, this was a nice read. Not my favorite historical romance, but still an endearing love story when everything came together.
"Simon, she pleaded, "save me."

And he was lost.

27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke and I.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Julia Quinn has written some of my favorite books! I love her style :) My best JQ is Secret diary of Miranda, I really recommend it :) And some of the Bridgertons were absolutely perfect <3 others just great XD

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jul 19, 2012 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) I think I've been holding off because I'm such a huge fan of Kleypas that I'm afraid I'll compare the two authors.

But I think it's time to bite the bullet!

Thanks for the rec, I'll have to look for it.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Hahahah :) Well I've read lots of historicals, after a while you just stop comparing and read what you like :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I have tried a few other authors but no one's really stuck with me in the Historical Romance realm. Even with the books I have liked, there hasn't been any motivation to seek out other stuff from the author. I've had better luck with Historical Fiction featuring a romance.

So maybe I'll get lucky this time. *cross fingers* I'll never know until I try.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Let me know who you've read, I have some great great great authors that I guess aren't very famous, but have reeeeally reeeeeally great books :) I'm a big fan of Regency so I got most of those in my "read" list :)

message 6: by Ana (new)

Ana Carolina oh, my friend is crazy about this book. Is it good?

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm only a couple of chapters in but I think I'm going to like it.

Leea How's it going?

SheLove2Read This one was pretty good Stacia. Some of the other books - especially if you try to read them all back to back (like I did during an illness) - get a little tired. I stopped at book 6 I think, but I do intend to pick them back up again at some point.

Amanda The Book Slayer seriously woman. You need to read this series. I love it! Great re-reads.

message 11: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth glad you popped your cherry, I love her books

message 12: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jul 23, 2012 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) It was a good book. Glad I tried her out. I'll definitely read on in the series. B

Claudia The second book is my favourite. Hope you enjoy it.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) This book has never really interested me. Nice and honest review!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Kristen. :) Claudia, I hope to get to it soon.

Searock I'll be watching to see if you make it past the third book. They are hit and miss- sometimes hitting and missing in the same book, lol. Kinda loved the second one and not so much on the third. Looking forward to the fourth and could really use a boost of the buddy read kind :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Which book is Colin's? That's the one I want to read the most.

SheLove2Read It's Romancing Mr Bridgerton - the 4th book.

Stacia (the 2010 club) So I'm definitely reading up through at least book 4 then.

message 20: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay It's true that these books are a hit or miss. I actually really liked When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn and On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8) by Julia Quinn the most. Hopefully, you can get to these someday. Most of these books could be stand a lones but if you're wanting to read Colin's book, I think you should read the previous books in order since the banter and buildup with his heroine starts before book 4.

I'm glad you enjoyed Quinn enough to continue onto more. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Definitely. I didn't fall instantly in love the way that I did with Kleypas' style but I think she will grow on me more with time.

Amanda The Book Slayer Number 4 is my fave as well! I really love the spin off with the Smythe-Smith family.

Sophie Colin and Penelope's story was adorable. It's probably my favorite Bridgerton book to date. I had similar feelings toward this book, Stacia! Though I disagree with offing one of the siblings; they're all quite interesting to read about at the moment (;

message 24: by Minie (new)

Minie I've read some of JQ... Liked them well enough. If you haven't already, try johanna Lindsey! Malory family...

Any other recommendations?? I'm always looking for a good read.. I go through about 2 books a week.. Sad I know! So much to read.. So little time!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Historical specifically?

Probably one of my new favorite historicals is this one, but it's more of a historical fiction with an epic romance in it than a straight historical romance. This book is absolutely breathtaking and I was in complete awe when I finished. The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons I just started book 2 and am already in love.

Otherwise, you can't really go wrong with Lisa Kleypas. Her favorites of mine are Again the Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5) by Lisa Kleypas (for the love story) Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) by Lisa Kleypas (because the series has great men and plenty of humor)

message 26: by Minie (new)

Minie Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try.. I'm open to all genre --- keeps me from getting bored.. I switch from vampires to CIA operatives murder mystery to angels/demons to historical... Doesn't matter what, as long as it's a page turner!

Stacia (the 2010 club) We're alike like that. I try to keep it varied, everything from YA to adult (even erotica), in a bunch of different genres. I get bored if I read too much of the same thing. The only thing I haven't read a lot of is suspense and true crime, but I'm trying to branch out.

Since I know you like Richelle Mead, you could always try The Shadow Reader (McKenzie Lewis, #1) by Sandy Williams, which reminds me a little bit of her Dark Swan series. Otherwise, you could look at my favorites shelf (it's only a short 1 page) if you're wanting to look for other genres.

Amanda The Book Slayer I did a post a while ago called : Top Ten Tuesday! If you like Julia Quinn try...

All those books are from the historical romance area and they are also books that I really enjoyed as well. :o)

As far as other genre's well I am with you I like to read a little of everything so just let me know what you feel like reading and I am sure I have a few recommendations or check out my bookshelves.

message 29: by Minie (new)

Minie Amanda -- Which out of the top ten do u like the best? I'll put it on my list to read.. :)

Amanda The Book Slayer Oh that is so hard. Lol. I love them all. I really live the Lirds of Vice series by Alexandea Hawkins but they aren't for the faint of heart. Lol. Sabrina Jeffries series is also another favorite but boil one is the weakest of the set.

Honestly I think they all have certain things they bring to the table. Are you looking for more on the romance side or something with a mystery ? Do you want poor girl falls for the rich man? Gambling halls intice you? All these books have one of these aspects it is really what type of story you ate looking for.

Ronyell Awesome review Stacia!! I loved the dueling pic!!!