Abby Johnson's Reviews > Etiquette & Espionage

Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger

Oct 18, 12

Read from October 11 to 18, 2012

I'm halfway through and putting it down for now. I LOVED Carriger's adult series The Parasol Protectorate, but this one's falling flat for me. Although set in the same steampunk, paranormal Victorian world, the world-building is not there for me in this start to her YA series. That's one of the things I loved most about her Parasol Protectorate books and I feel like if I hadn't read those previously I would have no inkling of the paranormal world going on here. Another big reason I loved the Parasol Protectorate books was the relationship between Alexia and Lord Maccon (including, but not limited to, the steamy scenes). Understandably, a series for a younger audience doesn't contain the heat that an adult series might, but I'm just not compelled to learn more about these characters and their stories.

I did go into this book with expectations based on loving the author's previous series, and that might be why this one isn't working for me. I would certainly try it on steampunk fans and teens who are looking for paranormal that's off the beaten path. I might try it on fans of Scott Westerfeld's LEVIATHAN or the adult (crossover) novel ALL MEN OF GENIUS by Lev Rosen.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Etiquette & Espionage.

Maria YEAH!!

Kate Oh no. This is disappointing to hear. I so love the Parasol Protectorate and had high hopes for this.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) This is exactly how I'm feeling right now! I actually did put it down for awhile and am now ploughing through to the end.

Drea I haven't read her adult, but that's how i felt about this one too. The world building/action never happened for me.