Kellie's Reviews > Dear John

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Jan 01, 15

bookshelves: 2011-reads, fiction-literature, my-library

The thing I like about this author is he has an incredible way to describe emotion, thoughts and feelings. I wouldn’t call his work romance, however, the emotional aspect that comes through each page is uncanny. Especially from a male author. This story is about John and Savannah. John lives with his father in Wilmington. He is rebellious and has no direction in life and decides to go into the Army. One summer on leave, he meets Savannah on the beach. They fall in love. The struggle is the time and distance apart as John completes his military obligation. The story is told from the aspect of John. Another interesting point about Spark’s writing and his ability to express the realistic feelings and emotions of love from the male’s perspective. Sparks pulls in various subjects throughout this novel; autism, September 11th, Habitat for Humanity, Coin collecting and of course, a North Carolina setting. The autism is an interesting subject because I believe the author has a son who has autism. Sparks character, Johns’ father, is the character he uses for the Asperger’s angle. I thought that was very interesting. The ending is a bit hokie but satisfying. It is typical Sparks. This book is one of the most memorable for me. It was enjoyable. I stayed up late to finish because I couldn’t put it down. Highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John.

01/01 page 0