Tina's Reviews > The Scarlet Dagger

The Scarlet Dagger by Krystle Jones
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
10823386
's review
Jul 27, 12

Read in July, 2012

So I was looking for a book to read while waiting around in court (my mom is beginning her divorce) and I stumbled along on The Scarlet Dagger. The name and quick blurb about the book caught my eye while scrolling through the free downloadable books on GoodReads. I just was in the mood for a short book. The reviews were scaring me a bit away but I was like, "HEY! Lets give it a shot."

I am delighted I opened the book as it was a fantastic read. It is the main reason I writing this review, if your on the fence of reading this book then please OPEN THE BOOK. This book alone is reason enough for anyone to be reminded that treasures can really be discovered on the free ebook list if one only digs long enough.

Now below will be a bit of a small walk through, it gives a bit away no major spoilers though that will affect the overall read, ruin the ending, or any other such manor.

Our heroine is Sloane McAlister, yes that is the girl's name. Though I never fell in love with her name, a rose would smell as sweet under any other name right? We find our unlikely hero dressed to kill and heading out from the White Sector, a humans only quarantined area to shield the residents from the vampire menace. Think of the separation and the politics as from the graphic novel PRIEST vol. 01, only the white sector is a sovereign state but no emphasis on Religion like in Priest. The Red Sector is anything outside the walls, it is lawless and infested with vampires, despite the government making recent claims about the infected being nearly gone. So our hero is attacked and finds herself no longer on the human side. The rest of the book is her existential quest to find where exactly is home, who she is, who she loves, what she should be doing, and where she belongs.

The author shows us how easy it is to villafy the other side in the war and how often differences between groups are over exaggerated. I found the compelling nature of the book kept leaving me questioning what I would do, and how it mirrored societies in general.

Our heroine has a pretty survivalist mentality, most likely because of how she is. She comes from a broken home and tends to allow herself to be slapped in the face only to turn the other cheek to the person. She is often forever trying to be empathetic. A part of myself hated her for it, partly because I felt no person could always see the other parties side too as we all have our own biases and the other part because well...it just started making me feel like a bad person.

Our heroine sees people with a violent temper and she is just like I let them breath 90% of the time they are A okay so if they are a raving psychotic creep the other 10% of the time that doesn't count right? YES, YES ACTUALLY IT DOES. Our poor, poor, naive, little protagonist. Shes seems a bit mentally masochistic but when you get to learn about her parents and how they treat her it is all a bit more logical. Oh, and we are left finding out she is a bit of an anomaly physically and the author leaves it hanging as to if Mom or Dad is to blame. Perchance answered in book 2.. who knows...I'm rooting for it to be the Mother's fault...I dislike her to say the very least.

If you hate the plot/storyline in Priest you may want to steer-clear, otherwise, your in for a delightful read.
likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Dagger.
sign in »

No comments have been added yet.