Kelly Hager's Reviews > Miss Me When I'm Gone

Miss Me When I'm Gone by Emily Arsenault

Jul 22, 2012

Read from July 19 to 22, 2012

Gretchen Waters wrote a huge bestseller, Tammyland, about her divorce and road trip to pay homage to several of country music's female singers. While working on her followup, however, she falls down a steep set of stairs and dies. At first, everyone thinks it's an accident. Her friend Jamie is given the manuscript of the new book and it's a lot darker than Tammyland. And the more Jamie reads, the more she thinks that maybe it wasn't an accident at all.

I loved Emily Arsenault's first novel (The Broken Teaglass) and am excited to read her second (In Search of the Rose Notes), so I was very excited to get to read this one. (Thank you, Edelweiss!) Her novels are suspenseful, but it's sort of like that old theory about the frog in the boiling water. (You know---if you put a frog in boiling water, it hops out. But if you put a frog in lukewarm water and slowly increase the temperature, it won't jump out. It'll just die.) I can never pinpoint the part where the water starts to boil, but I notice eventually that I haven't been breathing normally for a while. (Lots of held breaths and gasps.)

Part of what this book deals with is the fact that Gretchen is searching for her biological father. (She was raised by her aunt and uncle after her birthmom was murdered.) I was adopted and I enjoy stories about that. (Note: my experiences are nothing like Gretchen's. So there's that.)

This is an incredibly clever and fun story, one that is sure to keep you turning pages well past bedtime.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Me When I'm Gone.