Adrianna's Reviews > Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Apr 06, 2010

bookshelves: classic, fiction
Recommended to Adrianna by: Cafe Libri (Yahoo Book Group)
Recommended for: Young Adults
Read from November 01 to 27, 2008 , read count: 1

Flowers for Algernon is about a mentally challenged 32 year old man named Charlie Gordon and a mouse named Algernon. Charlie is chosen by a team of scientists to undergo an experimental surgery that will boost his intelligence. The book is written in a journal/progress report style told through Charlie's perspective. Because of this style, the story is very one-sided and the action is limited and slow at times. The scientific information in the book is not overwhelming and is suitable for any audience. Some parts are overly dramatic and feel as if it is written for a teen rather than an adult audience. Overall, this book causes the reader to examine all types of people and how they are treated in society. This book was especially moving for me because I have a mentally-challenged brother with Down Syndrome. This book gave me a small glimpse into what his world might look like. I hope Flowers for Algernon inspires people to change the way they treat others. Being different does not mean weird, mean, bad, etc. Differences make humanity beautiful, and more people should embrace them rather than shy away from them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers for Algernon.

11/09/2008 page 82
11/10/2008 page 128
46.72% "This book is so sad. It reminds me of my brother and how people treat him, even in our own family."
11/27/2008 "Finished the book, but I left it at home. Will write a review when I return from TX." 3 comments

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula I have loved this book forever! It is sooo sad but such a good book.

I always think, would I want to undergo treatment to be the smartest person alive only to have it taken away?

Sorry about how people treat your brother but I can see that. I have a down-syndrome boy where I'm working in an elementary school right now and I just love him. He is the sweetest kid.

Adrianna I agree with you, Paula! I've read it twice now, once as a child and once as an adult. I understand it a lot more as an adult.

Personally, I wouldn't go through the treatment. I wondered if Charlie regretted the procedure. It was a bit unclear. It's even sadder because of the ultimate consequence from the operation: death!

It's nice that someone knows what I am talking about in regards to down syndrome. I'm glad the student at your elementary school has you around. :)