Tammy's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

F 50x66
Apr 16, 2009

Ouch! Another painful read from Mr. Hosseini, but I am better for having read it. My improvement comes from spending time with the beautifully written women of Afghanistan. Now, I know that these are fictional characters; Hosseini has created such an eye-opening vision of what life is like for these women on the other side of our world, that I am inclined to believe his sobering portrayal. Take away the specifics of the story yet read into what they are teaching us about how women, children and different races are regarded in this region. This story is as likely to have happened in that societal climate as I am likely to receive a call from a telemarketer within the hour (read:HIGHLY likely).

Of course, Hosseini must break our hearts to cause us to marvel at his heroine(s) strengths, to see their depths. His brutally flawed antagonists repulse us, marking the contrast. The land of Afghanistan shows up like another character, ravaged by the fighting of the past decades, hanging on for a future where she is fostered by better stewards.

Upon reading this book and The Kite Runner, you will have a place in your heart with a prayer for the healing of Afghanistan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.