Ken Moten's Reviews > The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: short-story-stuff

*I guess we will have to address the Disney movie but I will save that for later.

The 'book'or really the main story concerning Mawgli is very well done. This story shows all the reason why this work, along with Kim, are considered Kipling's best work (though I do love his poem "IF" as well). Despite the "dated-ness" of this story it is still very well done the animals are betrayed well and I really connected with most of the characters. Okay, now we will get to my one...slight disappointment of the story along with my thoughts of the Disney version.

Shere Khan. I had seen the movie first and while most of it didn't stand out to me the villian did. Shere Khan aas portryaed as very crafty, charismatic, and very powerful villian so I was excited to read the book...and was disappointed. Disney Shere Khan was like a pre-Scar badass, Kipling Shere Khan was like meh I'm a tiger and do tiger stuff. this story was what I mostly wanted to talk about. The other stories were find with varying impressions (Riki Tiki Tavi being the most memorable). If you haven't checked out this book, which despite its title is actually an anthology of stories, I would suggest you take a day to read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jungle Book.