Renee 's Reviews > The Day No One Played Together: A Story about Compromise

6120471
Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: kids-books
Read in July, 2012

This review consists of two parts: 1. My son's review (he's 5) and 2. My review (the Mom). These are excerpts. For the full review visit us at www.MotherDaughterBookReviews.com

SON SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about:

I liked all of the pictures and I liked the names of the girls. My favorite name was Jadyn because I have a best friend named Jaiden, but he’s a boy. If I was in the story, I would want to play with my sister. We like playing games together that we make up. I didn’t like how sometimes the pictures looked like the sisters were yelling at each other. I also didn’t like how the girls didn’t want to do stuff with each other – those parts made me feel bad. But then they finally figured out something to do with each other – that made me feel good.

My bottom line:

I loved this book and I would recommend it to girls 6 years old and younger. I don’t think boys would like this book because they like more action.

MOM SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it:

As any parent with more than one child knows, teaching your children to compromise can be very difficult but, from a parental perspective, it really is essential to survival. Let’s face it, young children think the world revolves around them – they want what they want and they want it now! In The Day No One Played Together, Helsley portrays the consequences of not compromising (i.e., playing alone is not as much fun) and the consequences of compromising (i.e., I get to do what I want and playing with someone else is much more fun). The moral of the story is quite clear and well illustrated and written.

There are lots of really great illustrations in the book and I like how an interracial family is portrayed and featured. I like how the Dad is included in the illustrations; although interestingly, he is disengaged because he is reading the paper and doesn’t contribute to the conversation. Hmmm…

I also really liked the inclusion of a short definitions section which includes some bigger words that younger children may have more difficulty understanding (e.g., “disagree”, “brainstorm”, “compromise”). I think it’s important to introduce a few words that are just beyond your target audience’s understanding – - especially when Mom or Dad are reading the book to a child and can explain the words as they read along.

I have one comment that isn’t meant to be a criticism – just something for the author to think about. I understand that the girls in the book represent the author’s daughters in real life, but the play activities described in the book are mostly gender-specific (i.e., very girlie). For example, the girls’ play includes dressing up and singing, playing with dolls, and playing Mommy. The exception is playing in the sand and building castles. If there was a way to make it slightly more gender-neutral, then I think boys could relate to the story a bit more.

My bottom line:

Overall, I think this is a great litte book for young children that introduces a difficult concept in a way that is completely understandable. I would recommend this book to girls aged 3 to 8.

** The Day No One Played Together by Donalisa Helsley was provided to us free-of-charge by the author. **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day No One Played Together.