Tracy Holczer's Reviews > May B.

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose

Jul 19, 12

Read in July, 2012

Picked up this book as I was about to go to sleep while on vacation. Figured I could read for fifteen minutes or so and finish it the next day. Wrong. My eyes about gave out, but I read it all the way through in one sitting. What makes May B. special, aside from the lovely writing and vivid imagery, is the main character herself. I found myself remembering back to being a child, how I had the fantasy of living on my own, out on the prarie like Laura from the Little House books. So there I was, living through the eyes and earls of May B. as she faced tough choices and a harrowing experience. I cheered for her and my heart ached for her every step of the way. I'm sure, had I read this as a child, it would have been one of those stories I'd have kept under my pillow to read over and over, for the adventure, and then for the gratitude I'd feel for the comfort of home once the story was told. All this and beautiful, lyrical writing to boot.

I truly love historical fiction that throws me back in time in such a seamless way. This is one of those stories that I will easily put into the hands of my eleven-year-old reluctant reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read May B..