Maria's Reviews > Phantom

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: to-read
Read in July, 2012

The 411 by Maria:

First, don't be thrown off by the cover. The 3 characters are very Sims like and there is more to this book than this cover depicts. It is much deeper and you will find yourself completely engrossed in this modern day version of Phantom!

This is my third Laura DeLuca book and what I can tell you about Laura is that you can tell that she really loves creating her characters. Each character in Phantom is important to the story and all very well rounded. I wonder if she has a back story for each one! I wouldn't be surprised.

Rebecca is like every one of us in high school. She has a few friends. She longs for the popular boy but he is so far out of reach. Her talent as a singer would probably have gone unnoticed if the school wasn't looking to cast the roles of her absolute favorite play Phantom of the Opera. Overcoming her shyness and nerves she sings the songs that she knows by heart and wins the lead role of Christine. While she has been dying to be on popular boy Tom's radar forever, she is now drawn to new guy, Justyn who wins the lead of the Phantom. With Tom and Justyn vying for her attention and affection, Rebecca finds her life paralleling Christine's.

People are dying, accidents at every corner and Rebecca is living the role she obsessed over.

What a great read it made me long to see Phantom of the Opera again.

This was a mystery, love story, and musical all tied into one! There were so many quotes from the play, the songs, the words of the lovelorn Phantom and his obsession with Christine are throughout the book. Laura must be a BIG fan of Phantom!

Also, kudos to Laura, it wasn't until I was 85% through the book that I finally realized who the villain was. Whenever I thought I had it figured out, I didn't. If you read it and knew before that, I would love to hear from you.

Great young adult book!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom.

Jenn ~ Nemirdis I started to get suspicious right before the premier of the show... but never in a million years would have guessed the motive.