Megan's Reviews > The Demon Catchers of Milan

The Demon Catchers of Milan by Kat Beyer

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: arc, netgalley-or-edelweiss, annoying-mc, sucky-characters, booooorrriiiing
Read from July 27 to August 11, 2012

I really tried to like this book. I really wanted to, because it had such an interesting and cool premise, and the cover is really pretty. But, to be honest, The Demon Catchers of Milan seemed more like a history book on Italy instead of a book about, well--demons. 'The History Book of Milan', anyone?

There were several issues with this book that prevented me from truly enjoying it. Firstly, the characters. Though most of them were quite likable, several, including the protagonist, were just too dull and unrealistic that they weren't memorable at all. Another thing that annoyed me was the fact that Mia didn't act like a sixteen- or seventeen-year-old. It was like she was only thirteen or fourteen, experiencing with love/crushes for the first time. Even her younger sister seemed more mature than she was.

Secondly, the progression of the story itself. Though the book started out right in the action, things went downhill when Mia arrived in Italy. Sure, I get that Mia had to study and learn as much about Milan as she can, but that was all the book ever seemed to be talking about: the cultures of Italy, places in Milan, the history of Milan, etc. The story moved at such a slow pace; it was extremely frustrating. There were also only three or four times when demon catching actually took place.

Thirdly: I don't think I really understand what the whole point of this book was. Mia was kept in the dark about demons and all that for the most part of the book, but I still don't get what I was supposed to gain from reading this, because by the end, the demon that possessed Mia was still on the loose... And the story told me nothing about the overall plot at all. That was maybe the biggest problem of the book.

Overall, though I loved the concept of this, The Demon Catchers of Milan just wasn't my cup of tea. I couldn't connect fully to the story and its characters, and I felt like I gained nothing by reading this. I'm sure other people will find this enjoyable, but not me.

2 stars.

Want more reviews? Check out my blog!
[image error]
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Catchers of Milan.

Megan To be honest, I felt like I was reading a book about the history of Italy, not about demon catchers. And the MC was kind of dull. :( Maybe you'll enjoy it better?

Megan Yeah... Either way, I can't wait to hear what you think! :)