Erik's Reviews > Vengeance

Vengeance by Benjamin Black

Jul 19, 2012

liked it

Over 4 previous books, Benjamin Black (novelist John Banville) has developed a wonderful world. He has sucessfully recreated 1950's Dublin and Irish society in it's post war nuances and foibles. Quirke is a great protaganist, not some all knowing savant, but a intelligent man who works hard and has demons of his own. I appreciate that Black has crafted him this way, his weaknesses andd failures are always with him. And the people around him don't simply love him unconditionally. The relationship between him and his daughter is a great example of this. Added to this though is a missing 14 pages from my Early Reviewers copy, so maybe those were key pages to the mystery. All in all a good read.Vengence, the 5th in the series, is at times better and worse than the rest of them. Better in that the plot mystery is not a typical one. And worse in that the end sort of peters out a tad and could be gleaned several chapters befor ethe end. I think this one simply suffers from the lack of credible potential culprits. What this does allow though is a more thoughtful loo at Quirke and his relationships,which is what makes this entry work when the mystery itself isn't as much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vengeance.