Rose's Reviews > Crow Girl

Crow Girl by Kate Cann

Sep 10, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, arc-or-galley, quick-read, contemporary, coming-of-age, young-adult
Read on September 10, 2012

I can't really begin to convey my disappointment for "Crow Girl." Let me start off by saying, yes, I understand this is a book oriented towards reluctant readers, and given the reading level of the book, I was actually fine with that. I was also fine in that ultimately, this is a story about a young lady named Lily who isn't very confident in herself and faces against a group of girl bullies who pick, prod, and tease her to no end. Her only comfort lies in keeping company with a group of crows that she feeds and trains. Ultimately, for Halloween (her favorite holiday) she gets an idea to establish herself in a new light as "Crow Girl", and the story, from there on is how she overcomes her fears and bullies with her respective identity.

This is quite firmly a young adult novel considering the language and content themes. I was surprised at the blunt use of language and drinking here. While the character is a teenager, she seems much younger in voice than even I think would be noted for a reluctant reader. Sure, I could identify with the themes of self-worth and standing up in the face of fear, but Lily's story feels very fabricated and unrealistic, even to the point where it feels more silly than resonant. The story's static tone prevents it from being more than what it could've been, I think.

Overall, I can't really recommend "Crow Girl" as a memorable read for reluctant readers of young adult - there are far better titles out there that not only provide better narrative, but also more resonating focus in an overarching story.

Overall score: 1/5

Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley from the publisher Stoke Books/Lerner.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crow Girl.

09/10/2012 page 1
1.0% "This is likely to be a quick read for me. It's a book oriented towards reluctant readers and the galley is relatively short (40 some pages!) but I'm definitely looking forward to see how this transpires."
09/10/2012 page 3
3.0% "Three pages in this book and I'm already facepalming. It's not on the matter of the writing, the author's doing fine and the story has my attention. I'm just vexed at this so called principal saying that what Lily's going through isn't "real" bullying, and he's essentially blaming the victim here. Ugh. Hits a sore nerve. =("
09/10/2012 page 29
30.0% "Still reading, but while the writing style is fine for the audience its intended for, I'm finding the story itself very stagnant. At least Lily's learning a bit about having more confidence in her body. That I have to give it credit for."
09/10/2012 page 76
79.0% "I've reached the end of my galley with this page count but, seriously? I think even with the reluctant reader note, this didn't really orient toward its audience very well. And the story felt very empty, despite being one that supposed to inspire confidence against bullying and improving self image. I'm really disappointed."