Julie's Reviews > Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon by Alison Goodman

Sep 07, 2012

liked it
Read from July 19 to September 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I started reading this book and then put it down and I even read some other books in between reading Eon. It was interesting and well written; I just had a hard time getting into the story. Eon is a young crippled "boy" who has some special powers. He's going against better skilled warriors trying to become apprentices of the Rat Dragoneye. The setting felt like Ancient China, very similar setting and story line of Mulan. It was a fantasy world with dragons and mystical powers. The king is dying and his young prince is preparing to rule. The King's wicked brother is trying to rule instead. With wicked minion's like Dragoneye Ido it looks like they will succeed. There are many great characters in this story. Eon frustrated me at times as he keeps a lot of secrets, even from those who could help. The author’s descriptions were original and painted the scene perfectly. It’s surprising how well smells can describe a person. I like reading epic fantasies and this one defiantly has all the makings of a great one. A lot of bad things happen and the good guy isn't always coming out on top in this book. A little slow in the beginning and it wasn't until more than half way through the book that the action started really pulling me in. It’s a great story about a girl having to hide her gender and pretend to be a boy to survive in a male-dominated world. I will most likely read book two Eona. I think I might like it better, since the story-line of a powerful Dragoneye and her female dragon sparks my interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.