Res's Reviews > Shriek: An Afterword

Shriek by Jeff VanderMeer

Nov 11, 07

bookshelves: sff, locus_poll, didnt-finish
Read in November, 2007

The one where the life of historian Duncan Shriek is told by his sister, Janice, with annotations by Duncan after Janice dies. Abandoned at page 150.

I think there's probably a story in here somewhere. Things happen that would sound really exciting if I told you about them. But this is one of those books where you're given several unreliable sources and left to puzzle out what really happened between the lines of what they choose to tell you about, which means that there are layers and layers of other stuff between the reader and the story: Janice's high life and breakdown (bo-ring), the sibling relationship (if there was anything extraordinary about it, it hadn't shown up by page 150), dark hints of Duncan's love affair with a student (also boring).

Meanwhile, apparently this great adventure is happening in the background, but none of the actual words on the page tell anything about it.

Maybe this sort of thing is fun for people more academic-minded than me? Anyhow, it wasn't fun for me.

(2007 Locus poll: #6 fantasy)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shriek.