Paul Pessolano's Reviews > In the Shadow of the Banyan

In the Shadow of the Banyan by Vaddey Ratner

Aug 03, 12

Read from July 19 to August 01, 2012

“In the Shadow of the Banyan” by Vaddey Ratner, published by Simon & Schuster.

Category – Fiction/Literature

The reviews of this book have been excellent and I could not wait to read it.

The story is fiction but relies heavily on the real life experiences of the author. A young girl in Cambodia who comes from an affluent family finds her life completely turned around when the Khmer Rouge come into power. Her family is up rooted from their home, and is transferred to several different villages in rural Cambodia. Instead of being part of the nobility they become common workers. They are able to subsist by selling or trading off valuables that they were fortunate enough to take with them.

The young girl, Raami, must overcome the separation of her family, the loss of her father, and the violence and starvation that she must face day after day. It is hard to imagine but the Khmer Rouge, in only four years of power, killed an estimated two million people.

This book is definitely geared toward the woman reader. I found it to be slow moving and not very interesting and it was a struggle to get to the end. If one looks at the positive reviews they are all by women and probably well deserved. If you are interested in reading this book I highly suggest that you read the reviews and determine if the subject matter would be of interest to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Shadow of the Banyan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca I'm a woman and I didn't really like it either.

Elbie well I'm a woman and quit at chapter 8 life's too short for a dull book!