Dawn's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Mar 10, 10

bookshelves: 2008, ya
Read in April, 2008

A girl kills herself but leaves thirteen cassette tapes explaining the thirteen reasons why she did it. The thirteen reasons are each linked to a person and the tapes passed from person to person, so that each will know how they played a role in the death.

The author's choice of narrator is a bit of a cop out, but I understand why it was done, since it is YA. Very compelling. I read it all in one night, much like the narrator is determined to finish all of the tapes in one night. I recommend it for all.

ETA: It's been a couple years since I've read this and the part that really sticks with me is when the girl talks about how her little positive comments (bag, envelope? I don't remember what they were in) were stolen. I think it is a really good way of showing that little acts of kindness can make a bit of a difference. Obviously this girl had a lot of bigger problems, but that was such a small thing that ended up cutting very deep for her. I find it a good thing to remember, sometimes little things matter, and especially that you shouldn't degrade or try to take away someone's small happinesses.