Alaiel Kreuz's Reviews > Wake

Jul 25, 12

liked it
Read from July 19 to 25, 2012

Review by Alaiel Kreuz:
The main character, Gemma, loves to swim like no one else, if she could I'm sure she would spend every second of her life inside the water, first because she enjoys it and second because she shares a dream with her coach: to compite in the Olympics.
This summer her times are getting better everyday and her love life is also improving a whole lot... The boy next door, Alex, it's beginning to show feeling towards her. The only problem is that Alex is also Harper's best friend.

And who is Harper? Well, she is Gemma's big sister and right now, something like a mother figure too. Their real mom suffered an accident and although alive she barely remembers her daughters and forgets almost everything after a second...

Dramas aside, both girls and their dad, Brian, try to live with their current situation as best as they can. Harper is a very practical, straightforward and protective of Gemma. In the other hand Gemma is the complete opposite: carefree, a little bit naive and irresponsible at times they love each other but at the same time would like the other to disappear for a day.

Harper's love life is also improving after meeting Daniel -in a very embarrassing way-, a boy that lives in a boat, has no job and is incredible handsome. But Harper being Harper knows that, since she is leaving town in a few months, there's no reason to have a relationship now.

Their peaceful town turns upside down when a group of beautiful girls arrive and a handful of disappearances happen one after the other. Now every time Gemma sees them a feeling of danger lures her body completely.

Personal opinion:
This book was certainly a very refreshing read for this summer. While were I live the temperature keeps rising I enjoyed every second that Gemma was swimming at the bay or the pool... every time she did I wished I could join her right away!

Gemma and Harper personalities were, at some points, a little bit annoying... Gemma because she does things that are not very clever and Harper because she is very, very protective.
Saying that their personalities complemented each other and, in the end, were really funny and real.

My favorite character was, of course, Daniel. He is just the type of guy that I would love to have as a friend, very easygoing, funny, clever and a good listener. His relationship with Harper, that evolves little by little trough the book, is what I liked the most.

There is only one thing I didn't like that much: the changes between different POV. Amanda, while describing some scenes would change the POV from one line to the other and I had a difficult time following these changes. Hopefully, the final version will improve this.
As for the plot it's good but not amazing. Sometimes predictable the story is enjoyable and the end, I'm sure, will leave you wanting more pages to appear magically.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake.

07/21/2012 page 174
07/23/2012 page 309
100.0% "The end improved everything a lot more :) Review coming the 25th for the blog-tour"