Natalie's Reviews > Green Grass, Running Water

Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King

10019111
Aug 04, 12

Read from July 19 to August 02, 2012

Hello, Satire! This is one big satire and, structurally, a strange read. It is all over the place with its organization and there are so many characters and independent story lines that wind up being interconnected, that it took a LONG time to piece it all together. In fact, if i wasn't required to read it for a class, I likely would have quit on it out of confusion and due to the difficulty in trying to keep all of the characters straight in my head. Thrown into the crazy mix is the continuing storyline of four Indian elders who tell their own stories which are loaded with a mixture of Indian lore, mythology, literature references, and Western religion. Seeing as I am not well versed in many of these topics, I wasn't too sure what any of it meant.

I soon realized that almost everything in this book meant something and relied heavily on Google to help me out. It was certainly a lot of work and it took out some of the enjoyment. I look forward to reading it again with my class with the hope of gaining new insights. I gave it 3 stars simply because King is amusing and is certainly creative, but so many of his references were, in my opinion, outside of the knowledge base of your average reader. If I hadn't Googled some references, I would have gone lower but I started to appreciate what he was trying to do. In the end, I thought parts were funny, but I didn't always feel like I was in on the joke.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Grass, Running Water.