Jenny Ocana's Reviews > The Probability of Miracles

The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder

Jul 19, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in July, 2012

I really wanted to love this book right away but it wasn't until the last third that things got really interesting for me. I didn't exactly feel it because there wasn't a lot to go on or a lot to get hooked on in the beginning of the story. And I agree with some of the other reviews I've read here, Cam, the protagonist, was too much of a cynic and therefore not really a likable main character. I get that she had to have started as a rebel and nonbeliever for her to transform into the opposite but it was just too much of the negative. I really liked the premise though and and I liked the imagery of the author. I also liked how the characters such as Cam's family and friends were developed.

I don't like how you'd always almost know how these types of stories would end. So I read it with a melancholy feeling of anticipation which wasn't fun at all. :( I couldn't even enjoy the 'kilig' parts that much. But I know its inevitable to feel this way, sigh. I also found that it wasn't proportioned well. The sort of dry beginning was too long and the beautiful end was cut too short and it ended so abruptly.

And after everything I've said though, overlooking the boring parts and the unlikable Cam, I believe the author was amazing at portraying the different universal truths presented in the story. And the self-discussions that you'd find in Cam's mind were amazing, well thought out and inspiring.

In this book, you will find flamingoes, unicorns, tomatoes, dandelions, hula dancing, Disney world, family, friendship, love and miracles. I think the good parts outweighed the bad ones so I did end up loving it after all. It was magical. :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Probability of Miracles.