Traci's Reviews > The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, cookbooks, nonfiction
Read in July, 2012

I'm sad that I didn't end up having the time to actually make something from this book, so I really can't give it 5 stars if I didn't try the recipes.

The author is a woman after my own heart (we even have the same yogurt maker!) and I could only wish that I had the energy to make everything she details in this book from scratch, but I can at least try. I found a lot of inspiration from reading her blurbs. Also, I definitely appreciated that she added "tense moments" to her recipes because I have a tendency to give up pretty easily when things don't turn out exactly as detailed in the recipe. I most appreciated that she gave more information on ingredients that may seem foreign to most home cooks. Some cookbooks (I own a dog treat cookbook that is a huge offender) list these super weird ingredients that I then have to research. By that point, I decide against making the recipe because I'm pretty sure that even Whole Foods is going to carry that obscure crap.

I will definitely be requesting this book again in the future. I may even *gasp* buy it for my collection.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homemade Pantry.