Kathy's Reviews > The Last Dragonslayer

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Oct 11, 12

bookshelves: read-in-july-2012
Read in July, 2012

Hey, it's a Jasper Fforde, how could I not love it? For those of you who like comparisons, he reminds me a little of Leonard Wibberley (MOUSE THAT ROARED) and a little of Peter S. Beagle (LAST UNICORN) and a bit of Lloyd Alexander (too many to mention, including THE BLACK CAULDRON), but really, he is just himself, and a very good storyteller, with a great sense of humor.

Our "hero" is 15 year old Jennifer Strange, an indentured servant to a group of wizards and magicians, many of whom are retired, since their skills are waning, because magic is leaching out of the world. Her job mostly consistes of filling out the endless reams of paperwork that are involved in doing any act of magic in the Ununited Kingdoms. She is a foundling and her name was given to her by the "nuns" who run the foundling home where she was left in a rusty orange volkswagen. Much more, and I'll start giving out spoilers, so just read it. You will enjoy it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Dragonslayer.