Melissa's Reviews > Dark Destiny

Jul 19, 12

Read in July, 2012

Dark Destiny: Dark Mirror #3

By M. J. Putney

In this third installment of the Dark Mirror series, we find Tory turning seventeen in 1940 where they are celebrating after their successful completion of a mission to save a couple scientists and their families. Justin sees a landing of Napoleon on English soil. Ms. Rainford tries to show them in the history books that Napoleon never landed on English soil… except the history books were being re-written as they looked at them. So, the Irregulars from 1804, Jack Rainford, Justin Falkirk, Lady Cynthia Staton, Lady Victoria Mansfield, and Elspeth (sorry never used her last name in this book), packed up and headed back to the mirror to go back to 1804; where the students discovered that Mr. Stephan and Miss Wheaton were secretly married.

Napoleon (well his armies with the help of the Irish) did land on the shores of Wales. Using magic and a good friend to two, the Irregulars were able to call for disarmament of the French troupes and get it, right before reinforcements showed up. But they still had war Mages to deal with over on the French shore, and Napoleon waiting to send all his ships packed with more troupes over. Could their new friend from 1940 help them? Rachael Weiss, who was teaching the Rainford’s about Jewish Sabbath, as feelings grew between Nick Rainford and her, had the talent of empathy and could affect people’s feelings and thoughts. Could she find a way to change Napoleon’s mind? Get him to redirect his armies and goals away from English soil? They had to try. Could Nick and Rachel bridge the divide between their religions? One that was being so persecuted around the world at the time?

I found this to be a very gripping tale of two alternate histories. I loved the way Ms. Putney used her love and knowledge of history to create these time lines and these wonderful stories. I wonder if there will be more? I don’t think so, Hitler has been dealt with in 1940 and is no more a threat to England, and Napoleon is no more a threat in 1804, but what a wonderful world she has created and I would love to come back and play in it at her direction some more. Another 5 star hit, that sweeps you up and won’t let you go until the last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Destiny.