Matthew Farmer's Reviews > The Shadow of Black Wings

The Shadow of Black Wings by James Calbraith

Jul 30, 12

Read from July 23 to 30, 2012

This book has that feel of something epic about to happen. It is a superb first act with heroes and villains, intrigue and subterfuge.

As a writer I can feel that James has done a lot of good, solid world-building. The layer of magic and fantasy which he drapes over 'real world' fits seamlessly. It is at the same time familiar and wonderfully new.

It is paced perfectly, not rushed, letting you absorb each part of the story before being introduced to something new.

There were a few formatting issues with the version I had, with some of the more exotic font marks not translating to e-pub format. This sometimes broke me out the book, but it was not enough to detract from an overall good read. I believe the print version does not suffer from this bug, so possibly a better buy.

Well done to James on this effort. Since I borrowed an e-reader to read this book, I am now going to go shopping fo my own so I Can buy the second book in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of Black Wings.