Julian's Reviews > Year Zero

U_50x66
Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in July, 2012

No, no, no, no, no. This is not in any way like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The only remote link is that like Hitchhiker's, we discover that there is a rather large and very silly universe out there, but that is where it ends. The book is amusing, slightly chuckle worthy and a good book in its own right, but it has absolutely none of the intelligent, dry, hilarious and out right craziness of Douglas Adams.

The sad thing is that the reference to Adam's work in the marketing for this book has completely ruined my enjoyment of the book. I read or listen to the Hitchhiker's series at least once a year and have done so for 21 years, so I know the series well. If this book was simply marketed as a fun take on music piracy in a sci-fi setting, I would have really enjoyed it. Instead, I spent the whole book waiting for the crazy outrageous humor to begin, only to find that it never does.

To be fair, I will give this book two ratings:
1. Rating with the marketing promise of strong links to the style of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - 2 stars
2. Rating for the book as a story in its own right, yes it is an amusing, smart, well written story - 4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year Zero.