Angela Risner's Reviews > Carry the One

Carry the One by Carol Anshaw

Jul 19, 2012

liked it

I started this book and immediately thought that I would not enjoy it. At the beginning, the characters seemed to be very unlikeable - and not in the I can't wait to read more to see if this person gets what's coming to him/her way, but in a they're taking up valuable oxygen from the rest of us way. However, as I plodded further along, the character development convinced me that there was more to see.

The night that Carmen is married, her brother and sister as well as a couple of others leave in a car, with her brother's girlfriend driving. The girlfriend was high, as was the brother, and they end up striking a young girl and killing her. This book deals with the aftermath of that event over the next 25 years.

I think that the author had a good idea - what happens after a tragedy like that? Sure, you talk about it for awhile, but time tends to dull memories and emotions, especially for those who aren't faced with an empty spot at the dinner table everyday. I don't think that this premise was as well-articulated as it could have been. Each of the people involved in the accident dealt with it in his or her own way, but that seemed more of a secondary thought than the main focus of the characters.

The writing is what saves the book, as this author is very talented. The characters become more real as the book moves along, which helps the story a great deal.

Recommend, but be prepared to work at staying with the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry the One.