Nick's Reviews > How Mathematicians Think: Using Ambiguity, Contradiction, and Paradox to Create Mathematics

How Mathematicians Think by William Byers

Nov 08, 08

I gave up on this book after about 200 pages. It was too philosophical for me. The only thing I got out of the first 200 pages was the quote: "To grapple with infinity is one of the bravest and extraordinary endeavors that human beings have ever undertaken". I can't convince myself that's grammatically correct, but it's cool anyway, and who am I to judge?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Mathematicians Think.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike.p (new)

Mike.p I have to agree with Nick Hamblet. This book is incredibly verbose and repetitious, and manages to bury a number of very interesting ideas under a mountain of words. It contains several typographical errors in both text and diagrams. Simple topics are "explained" by reference to more complex themes as yet untouched, using notation probably unfamiliar to likely readers. The only section I found instructive and commendably terse was that on Godel's theorem pp. 277,278 (but was that just pinched from Penrose?)