Jane's Reviews > The Blackstone Key

The Blackstone Key by Rose Melikan

Jul 20, 12

Read from July 18 to 20, 2012

So I'm not actually finished. I've gotten to page, like, 168 out of 450 and I absolutely can not keep myself going.

When I first started, this novel seemed like the collaborative effort of C. S. Lewis and Mildred Benson (a.k.a. the original Carolyn Keene). But as it went on, it was just... bad. The quality of the narrative doesn't even come close to matching the above two authors. Is it sad to say that I would choose to read Nancy Drew over this any day?

In the end, I think the most apt word to describe 'The Blackstone Key' is "dull." There's seemingly no action, and any action that does take place contains no suspense or excitement. There's no description to contribute to any kind of mood. The author seems to be a fan of including obscure (and inaccurate) historical details that she hints are significant but there's never an explanation as to why. Not to mention, I absolutely hate the main character. She's vapid and flat, though the author would have you believe she's some kind of hero as she breaks the mold of the average eighteenth-century woman wide open.

If you're thinking of reading this book, please don't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blackstone Key.