Reeka (BoundbyWords)'s Reviews > Inbetween

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-advance, para-romance
Read from July 18 to 28, 2012 — I own a copy

As seen on my blog:

This book had some unique and fun elements, the idea of "reaping" is not one I've come across before, and I think Tara did a interesting job of creating a new world for her characters, and her readers, to venture into. The "InBetween," where souls wander until they earn a second chance at life-there wasn't much in terms of descriptive scenery, but instead a sense of the characters surroundings, an endless field of impatience. Tara also references both Heaven and Hell, where her descriptions are a lot more generous. I found this both odd and disappointing, considering the title of the book IS "InBetween"- although she may have intended that to be an adjective, as opposed to the place.

Now on to the reason for only 2 stars, the main characters: Finn and Emma. I feel as though Tara might have been heavily encouraged by ideas, and characters, from both Twilight and the genius that was Ghost (starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore). Emma is written as a very frail and dependent girl, a loner of sorts, never one to keep many friends or attend local parties with schoolmates. Finn is dead. Very dead, and has BEEN so for many years. His attachment to Emma/Allison is immediate and binding, and his need to protect her is borders the line between genuine care..and obsession (sounding familiar yet?). I won't go into much more detail on that note, but I began to distance myself from their "connection" very early on in the book-I wasn't a fan of Twilight, and their pairing just rang too similiar to the whole Bella/Edward ordeal. Oh, and then there was this:

"Finn finally turned around to face me, his outline shimmering with a silvery dust. It was like he was wrapped in the Milky Way, cloaked in a translucent blanket of stars"
A little too reminiscent of another sparkly boy.

I did, however, absolutely adore the secondary characters, Easton and Cash. Their dialogue was witty and fresh, and served as a much needed break between the longing and "heart thudding" going on with the main characters. I can't wait to see if either of these characters get a book of their own.

In conclusion, this book brought something slightly new to the table, and if you were a Twilight fan (and don't mind the lack of vampires), you are definitely in for a treat. I can appreciate a good Para-Romance book as much as the next guy..or uh..girl, this one just wasn't for me.

----------

*DISCLAIMER* I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. (MY VERY FIRST!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inbetween.