Giselle at Book Nerd Canada's Reviews > The Archived

The Archived by Victoria Schwab

Jan 10, 15

bookshelves: 2013, bought-in-store, own, arc-electronic, from-netgalley, requested-for-review
Read from January 02 to 03, 2015 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Mackenzie isn't your average teenage girl, she's a Keeper. Her job is to keep the Histories from the Outer and returning them back The Archived. When her family moves to an old hotel where she knows a murder takes place, she starts to unravel the corruption that is deeply ingrained in the Archived. Who can she trust? Who is the mysterious new boy? Is he a friend or foe? Will she find out who is responsible for the Histories getting out?

Slow start to the whole story-line since we're getting used to what this whole world entailed. I tell you I had to wrap my mind around some of the concepts, but after it was explained several times on repeat successions, I eventually understood what everything meant. It's a clever concept using keys and doors, but it wasn't the first I've heard of. I couldn't stop comparing Mac to Suze from Meg Cabot's Mediator series which she basically does the same thing, kicking their butts and sending them home. Though without the snarkiness that is. The similarities don't end there though because the love triangle also seemed eerily similar. One guy being the charming more experienced Keeper, while the other was a History. Even though it was similar, I still enjoyed it.

Victoria writes well and her pacing, setting and characters all worked well. I like how she introduces the concepts, but I did feel the info dumps to be repetitive. Also the second point narrative irked me to no end. I didn't like the way it was used, but I guess I'm just being picky.

A kick-butt paranormal romance mystery and journey into Victoria's Archived world and I'm betting you'll be picking up the next book like I did.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Archived.

01/01 marked as: currently-reading
01/01 page 1
0.0% "I'm terrible..had requested this on NetGalley a year ago but then the hype threw me off and I'm just NOW getting to it.. Also the fact that there's no third book didn't help.."
01/02 page 56
17.0% "This is almost the same concept as Meg Cabot's Mediator series.. Hunting Histories and bringing them back.."
01/02 page 97
29.0% "He reminds me of Captain Hook from ‘Once Upon a Time.’"
01/02 page 118
35.0% "Doesn't she go to school?" 2 comments
01/02 page 240
73.0% "You are a crazy, amazing girl. And you scare the hell out of me. "
01/02 page 283
86.0% "Finally, she gets it"
01/02 page 306