Jessica's Reviews > A Memory of Light

202724
Jan 24, 13

bookshelves: all-timefavorites, fantasy
Read from January 11 to 23, 2013

I started reading these books in jr. high when the third one had just been released and people started to realize that it wasn't a trilogy. I have read every. single. book. The early ones I've read several times. I feel like I grew up with these characters, loved them, cherished them, and yes: wanted a few of them to die or at least just go away. Robert Jordan wasn't the most phenomenal writer in the world, but there was always something gripping, something grand, and certainly something engaging about the tale he spun of good versus evil. When I found out he was dying a few years ago, I went into full panic mode. How would we get to the Last Battle without him? And yes, I admit that I was nervous when Brandon Sanderson was tapped to finish the series. I knew Brandon personally, but hadn't read his books . . . What if he couldn't "stick the landing?" I mean, I was worried that Jordan himself wouldn't be able to pull it off!

Oh, he stuck the landing.

I may be hung in effigy for saying this, but I don't care: I think that Brandon has a better writing style, and I have loved, loved, loved his additions to the series. Loved. He has a way of describing battles that just cannot be beat, and he's fantastic with dialogue. He's taken the wonderful characters and the epic struggle that Jordan introduced and made them truly great.

So. The ending. I always imagined that when the last Wheel of Time book came out, I would race home from the bookstore and just devour it, staying up late, eschewing all housework. I didn't know, of course, that it would be over twenty years later, and that I would have three kids and a writing career of my own. So, y'know, it's taken me a while to make my way through this incredible and massive book. And it is both: incredible. And massive. All the loose ends are nicely tied up. The Last Battle is truly magnificent. We've been gearing up for it for 13 and a half books, there are about fifty MAJOR characters, and it fittingly takes up a good chunk of the book. I loved it. Even as I bawled my eyes out. So many friends dead! (They're fictional friends, but still!) I won't say who, but I will say that two people died while I was on the elliptical at my gym and I may have been noticeably crying. Several people are horribly crippled, and I'm still not sure about that.

And the ending?

I'm still processing.

It wasn't bad. It was actually pretty awesome, but so far from what I've speculated would happen for the last twenty plus years, that I'm just . . . still processing.

If you've never started this series because it's really long, or you were waiting to see what people thought of the ending, etc. Just go. Start the series. Do it now. I have to say it's one of the best, most fun, and most satisfying fantasy series I've ever read.

And the ending was better than I'd hoped.

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Memory of Light.

01/14/2013 page 325
35.0% "So far it's better than I could have hoped."

message 1: by Miss Clark (new) - added it

Miss Clark I need to start these books! Your review makes me feel quite confident in how the story finishes:)

Tamara Brandon Sanderson's finishing of the series is the main reason I started the series in the first place. And I enjoy his books more than I did the ones Robert Jordan wrote. I look forward to reading this final installment!

Vanessa It was bittersweet to see the end come. And ditto to your review. I didn't want to read it until after my husband and I finished, and when I read it after I felt like I could be reading my own words.