Elizabeth's Reviews > Luminous Airplanes

Luminous Airplanes by Paul La Farge

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Recommended for: Lazy wannabe Bill Gates'ers

Meh. This book follows a feckless San Franciscan programmer, fond of ironic t-shirts, as he travels back to his grandparents house in upstate New York to dismantle and organize their house after the grandfather dies. There's a sometime girlfriend kinda involved in the beginning of the book. A childhood neighbor revisited once he gets back to New York. There's the complications of past family secrets and finding out truths. All of these ideas seem very intriguing and have the potential to build an interesting story but somehow they don't end up gelling. For me, it's the protagonist who seems to be this passive guy who doesn't really do much and that started to grate on my nerves until I ended up not liking or caring what happened to him.

The book covers San Francisco well during the dot-com era of the 90s and Burning Man is alluded to. As someone who lived in that city during that time, reading and relating to the insights was the highlight of my read and made the book entertaining on some level.

Everything else came out as a big, MEH.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luminous Airplanes.