Teresa Mary Rose's Reviews > Touch of Death

Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway

Jul 19, 2014

bookshelves: arc, re-readable-books, for-review, ya, blog-tour, paranormal, 2012
Read from October 02 to 03, 2012

More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

Touch of Death was everything I expected it to be and so much more. It had a gripping story line, young romance, a fierce heroine, evil villains, and a swoon worthy hero. To put it simply, I really loved this book. It is a very fast and a very enjoyable read.

Our heroine Jodi is one that readers will really enjoy. She is strong, brave, and smart; but still manages to come across as a teen. She does not appear old for her age and I loved that. I love that she was strong despite her age and that on occasion her teenage side got the better of her. Jodi is the kind of character that tries to be responsible and truly cares about the people around her, but sometimes good intentions do not always have good outcomes. She had some great sarcastic moments and even when things freaked her out, she always rose above it.

The aforementioned swoon worthy hero is named Alex. Added to book boyfriend list: check. He is sweet, sarcastic, and funny despite his initial creeper tendencies. It is very clear how he feels about Jodi and I really liked that. There was no guesswork or mixed messages; for the most part the reader could clearly tell how Alex felt even if Jodi could not.

The romance between Jodi and Alex is very sweet and innocent. It really feels like two teens that are simply falling for each other and experiencing a lot of firsts together. Despite everything going on around them, the blossoming romance still shines through. I also loved that this book left a lot of the angst behind. While they still act like teens, there is no unnecessary angst going on in the story in terms of the relationship.

One of my favorite aspects of this story was the Greek mythology that was interwoven throughout. That is actually what initially caught my attention about this book; I am a sucker for Greek mythology. This book places a heavy emphasis on Medusa, but this is Medusa as you have never seen her before. The scary monster we all know as Medusa is nonexistent in this book. This Medusa is powerful and strong and nothing like you expect her to be. Just wait and see what I mean.

While I will admit to correctly guessing who the bad guys were, I also did not care that I did in the least. I really just enjoyed being along for the ride with Jodi and Alex. I loved watching the events unfold and seeing how each character dealt with the situations thrown at them. Also, we all know about my zombie obsession, so I was ecstatic when they popped in. However these are not your normal zombies and this storyline was much deeper than I initially expected it to be. I loved how Jodi handled this situation.

One of the biggest and best aspects of Touch of Death is the necromancy. It was intriguing and the way the powers work is so different from the norm. This power is double sided; it is not just about giving life but also about taking it. It shows how too much power in the wrong hands can have deadly consequences.

Touch of Death is a book that I recommend you read as soon as you are possibly able. You will conveniently forget everything else that you thought you had to do for the day and instead spend your time with Jodi and Alex. Touch of Death is deadly addictive and I dare you to put it down.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Death.

10/03/2012 page 48
20.43% "Addictive!"
10/03/2012 page 108
45.96% "Wow. Poor Jodi. Things just keep getting worse and worse."
show 1 hidden update…