Amanda's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Jul 26, 15

bookshelves: ya, printz
Read in July, 2015

Reread for a book club and I forgot how funny it is in that sarcastic, adolescent way. I'm also reminded of how much Anderson packs into such a compact novel, emotion, imagery, characterization. It's amazingly well-written which means it doesn't read as dated. Highly, highly recommend.

pg.57 David stares at Mr. Neck, looks at the flag for a minute, then picks up his and walks out of the room. He says a million things without saying a word. I make a note to study David Petrakis. I have never heard a more eloquent silence.

pg.96 The streets are quiet and pretty. The snow covers yesterday's slush and settles on the rooftops like powered sugar on a gingerbread town.

pg.118 Why not draw naked guys, just to be fair? Naked women is art, naked guys in a no-no, I bet. Probably because most painters are men.

pg.130 Hawthorne wanted snow to symbolize cold, that's what I think. Cold and silence. Nothing quieter than snow. The sky screams to deliver it, a hundred banshees flying on the edge of the blizzard. But once the snow covers the ground, it hushes as still as my heart.

pg.153 Mr. Freeman: "You are getting better at this, but it's not good enough. This looks like a tree, but it is an average, ordinary, everyday, boring tree. Breath life into it. Make it bend-trees are flexible, so they don't snap. Scar it, give it a twisted branch-perfect trees don't exist. Nothing is perfect. Flaws are interesting. Be the tree."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.