Kenyon Harbison's Reviews > A Darkness More Than Night

A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly

U_50x66
Jul 18, 12

Read in July, 2012

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I'm sad to say I have now completed all of the Harry Bosch mystery/detective novels written by Mr. Connelly, as far as I know. (Oh, yes, I'll be double-checking.) I have also spelled Mr. Connelly's name correctly in this review, which my long-suffering wife informs me I have been consistently failing to do. (I also re-read three of the books I had already read -- Concrete Blonde, Black Echo, and Echo Park.) There are still a couple of non-Bosch Connelly novels I haven't read, and I'll probably knock them down, too. (Literally I can go through one of these things in a couple of evenings after work and after putting my kids to bed.)

This one is a unique hybrid, because here Terry McCaleb, a retired FBI profiler struggling with a heart transplant and a new family, is actually the lead character, and his investigation of a murder turns to Bosch...as a suspect. But the book is a Bosch novel because about a third of it focuses on Bosch as he simultaneously helps with the high-profile trial of a man he has caught. Obviously these two storylines intertwine quite completely by the end of the book.

In conclusion as to my Bosch quest: Connelly doesn't write great literature. This is not Jane Austen. But he's a fantastic crime writer, and he's a better documenter of Los Angeles than are many people who purport more fully to document Los Angeles. Most importantly, I think the connection here for me was Bosch, the character. Characterization is what it always comes down to, in the end. I think that many will not share my passion for these books, because they will not identify as thoroughly with this character as I do, but for me they were truly addictive because of that identification.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darkness More Than Night.