Angeline's Reviews > Lucky Fools

Lucky Fools by Coert Voorhees

Jul 18, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

I found this book to be very relatable. As I'm approaching my junior year in high school, I am bombarded with homework and stress over college. I go to a very competitive high school and every year the pressure keeps building and building. Not only do grades and high test scores matter, but they've become the standard. Colleges are more interested in a student's extracurricular activities and personal essays than their transcripts. But, what would you do if only one person from your school could get into Stanford, Harvard, Yale, or Princeton?

It's very refreshing for me to read about a guy's point-of-view especially in the young adult genre that isn't about sci-fi or fantasy. But, I found all the characters (even David) to be underdeveloped. It bothered me that I couldn't remember the names of some of the characters (especially the supporting characters). Then, I realized that the reason being that none of the characters were really memorable. All of David's "friends" seemed like acquaintances. The type of people you say "hey" when you see them in the hallways, but don't really talk to outside of school. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but David seemed to lack any emotions besides anxiety, guilt, and (at the end) insecurity. I found the characters in this book to be very bland and 2-D.

Regarding plot, I thought the book was all over the place. It tries to juggle David's relationships, hopes and dreams, and expectations in a haphazard mess. There are areas of the book that need more attention put into it than others.

(view spoiler)

Overall: I think this book portrayed the teen angst realistically, but in other areas in fell behind. If you're looking for a change of pace, pick up this male POV book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky Fools.