Kate's Reviews > The First Confessor

The First Confessor by Terry Goodkind

Jul 19, 12

Read from July 18 to 19, 2012

It was really cool to see all the important figures and history from the Sword of Truth come to life. The story was simple, but quite good. It was a tad predictable, but since we get a general idea about events in this time period from the main series, that is to be expected. I did have a couple of problems with the story telling in this one though.

My main issue what that a good portion of the book was dialogue as exposition. Magda was trying to find out what was going on and for pages and pages people would tell her what they knew. I mean, there is nothing wrong with a little bit of that, but at least 1/3rd of the book was people talking about the past, or what they could/should be doing rather than just doing it.

Also, a lot of the exposition was rather technical decriptions of how magic worked. Mostly this was stuff that those of us familiar with SoT already knew through watching Richard figure it out the hard way, so it got a little bogged down and it was hard to pick out the new information as known by those with an actual working knowledge of magic. Much like in the later SoT books, the author spends a lot of time explaining things/processes/philosophies that are not immediately relevent to the story just to make sure everyone is on the same page about how brilliant or evil the characters are.

Magda was awesome. I would love to read more about her as a character rather than a history/magic lesson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Confessor.