Kim (Sliced Open Reviews)'s Reviews > Arcadia Awakens

Arcadia Awakens by Kai Meyer

Jul 18, 2012

bookshelves: book-i-own, read-in-2012, books-reviewed, favorites, 2012-release, mafia, mythology, paranormal, paranormal-romance
Read on July 19, 2012

So, I really love it when I am surfing through GoodReads and come across a book that a couple of my friends have read and loved so I decide, with haste, to go purchase the book. Upon doing so I rapidly ignore my schedule because, hey “So-n-so said it was great” so therefore I need to ignore any part of the rational part of my brain and start reading. Yes, I do love it when this happens because it is usually when I find books like Arcadia Awakens. Because, if I had done any of my normal research once I found this title here is what would have happened. I would have fallen head over heels for the synopsis, oh wait, I did and that has yet to change. Ok, so after that I would have begun my digging into the author, his/her previous works and SHIT. I would have then stumbled upon the tid-bit of info that would have me dropping this like a bad habit. Kai Meyer is a German author, meaning his works are translated (into 27 other languages to be correct). No, I’m not against foreign work, in fact my feelings for this book should prove quite the opposite, but I have read some true epic failures in translating. But boys and girls, I am happy to let you know that this piece of literary heaven does not fall into that category! Nothing for me was lost in translation. Quite the contrary, I think that the vision of Meyer’s heritage brought some of what drew me so close to this read. He describes portions of this book with such intent knowledge that you get drawn in to these amazing aerial views of lush Sicily, that frankly; I was lost until I finished. HECK who am I kidding; I’m still lost since book two isn’t quite here yet!

I also have to give mention to the characters in this book. I was so confused with the first couple chapters of the book because I just could not figure out how I was supposed to like our MC Rosa. No, she’s not what I’m used to when it comes to female MCs cause she lies, cheats and steals within the first 100 pages of the book. Yea, I know, I totally didn’t get it. But as you start to learn more about her things start to piece together and you understand the how’s and why’s and things just clicked. She is far more “angst” than what I’ve read recently and I actually quite enjoyed that. Rosa isn’t the only complex character built within the story; I actually feel that each character was built with a sense of precision, giving each character a kaleidoscope of color and diversity that left me breathless at times. The dexterity in the writing of each character still floors me.

Another reason I loved this book comes in one word…Mafia. I have an inordinate fascination with mafia stories and Arcadia Awakens played into that like a Royal Flush in the middle of a losing streak. This mixed with a version of Mythology that is much lesser mainstream totally blended together to place excellence on the pages.

Ok, I’m shitting flowers and sunshine right now but I just cannot help it. This may wipe the floor with any series I’ve started this year…needless to say I will stalk GoodReads and B&N waiting for Arcadia Burns, Book Two in the Arkadien Series!

Review by Sliced Open Reviews
Source: Purchased

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcadia Awakens.

07/19/2012 page 136
30.0% "I had a reading schedule this week...and then this book came a long and wiped out all my planning - GREAT read so far!"