Heidi's Reviews > Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1

Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1 by Jake T. Forbes

Nov 10, 08

bookshelves: fiction, ya-12-19, picture-books, series, graphic-novel-or-comic, fantasy, spin-off_retelling
Read in November, 2008

I will be honest and admit that I am a "Labyrinth" fan. Not a fanatic. But something about seeing this movie when I was 6 or 7 (and possibly with older people--so that might have added to the experience) has made an impression on me. I mean, a movie that can make me laugh, cry, fear, and have nightmares is a pretty wide-ranging movie. Nightmares not only from the guys who take of their heads, but David Bowie in leggings. Ick!!! David Bowie aside, I was intrigued as a little girl by the character of Jareth and that he was so mesmerized by Sarah. Another plus was the "magic of Jim Henson" is throughout. While it may be 80s, there are definitely worse 80s things out there. ("Pretty in Pink?" "Sixteen Candles?" New Kids on the Block? MTV music videos? "Summer School?") I will always have my little affinity for the happier things: "Labyrinth" and "Willow."

That being admitted, I have no reason to justify my intrigue when I stumbled across this book in some amazon searches. I protect my views/opinions/ideas of "Labyrinth" as much as I do my Austen heroes and heroines. So when I saw that a 4-part graphic novel series was so far following my same views, I gained a desire to read it.

And it's good. I'm not a graphic novel fan. But I would gladly have read this one for the graphic novel genre study and actually enjoyed myself, too. Possible because I had more "connection" with the characters here than in so many other graphic novels. There was a wink into the ug/crude/bathroom humor and references. However, overall, not too bad of a book. I would have preferred less graphic on various costuming. But the characterization--whether new or continued from the movie--was nice. I loved the reunion of Ludo, Hoggle, and Sir Didymus.

Very good cliff-hanger ending and I looke forward to reading volume 2--especially as I know how that one ends, too! I'm excited to read someone's version of the history of various characters. I look forward to getting to know more of the character Moppit. I would really like nothing more to do with the two daughters--very disturbing, each in her own way.

Basically, it is an enjoyable way of living a little more in the Labyrinth world while not having to spend too long in pages and pages of a print book or slug through a poorly done sequel film.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1.