Sharlene's Reviews > The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

F 50x66
Jul 18, 2012

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction
Read in June, 2012

I actually skimmed the last few chapters because the book group was only hours away, but I read most of it. I loved some of the old-fashioned feel of this book, with children playing creatively and simply. It reminds me a bit of Little Women with the four growing girls and their sibling interactions (with fun boys around for friends/and young love interests). It is a little lighter, but full of simple mischief and strong personalities. I like books about growing girls (as they remind me of my own experiences with 10 sisters). I loved how the girls had their own secret honor and code of ethics. Their meetings of older Penderwick sisters (and of all penderwick sisters) are humorous and show a beautiful relationships between the girls. And their idea of the OAP (Oldest Available Penderwick) shows their sense of responsibility towards one another and the family (which is how they handle the death of their mother and the somewhat laissez-faire parenting style of their father.) There were some lines I meant to go back and copy over, because they made me laugh or smile or think, but I don't remember where they were. In the mother-daughter book group, there were a lot of fun questions and then the girls reenacted a scene (creating a short movie). It was a fun, innocent read and it left plenty of room for discussion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penderwicks.