Lindsay Heller's Reviews > Specials

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ya, dystopia
Read from July 18 to 21, 2012

Well here it is, the final installment of the original 'Uglies' trilogy [the author wrote a fourth book but I'm not including that one, 'Extras', in the original trilogy since it does not concern Tally Youngblood]. I was not particularly happy with this book. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't grab me the way the first book did and didn't even spark my interest enough to barrel through like the second. In some way it was the nature of the character now, but in others it just seemed to peter out with hardly any thought.

Tally is now Special. After healing herself of being Pretty and escaping once more of the rebel Smoke, Tally was brought back to the city and turned into a member of Special Circumstances, the terrifying department that secretly keeps the dystopian society running smoothly. And Tally is a member of the most special Specials, the Cutters, lead by Tally's old friend Shay. Their mission: to find the Smoke and bring them in, no matter what the cost or what rules they break. But when Zane returns from the hospital, Pretty again, Tally is determined to get him into the Cutters, a distinction reserved for only the trickiest teens. Shay and Tally come up with a plan that will kill two birds with one stone; allow Zane to escape to the Smoke and follow him, he proves he's tricky and they find the Smoke. But this rebellion has grown much larger than anyone could anticipate and soon it seems clear that this might be headed towards the unthinkable, war.

I didn't find this installment of the 'Uglies' trilogy to be anywhere near as compelling as the rest. While 'Uglies' was wonderful and 'Pretties' was still pretty decent, this felt like trudging uphill. There were endless scenes of Tally's new abilities, which pretty much described every aspect of her hoverboarding around and using her new monofiliment muscles (gross!) to grab onto artifaces that others couldn't have. I get it, I mean there's really not point of this book if we aren't getting what it's like to be brainwashed with superhuman abilities due to creepy amounts of extreme surgery (they replaces their BONES with aircraft ceramic [double gross!]), but it really just wasn't that interesting. And once the plot actually set in it still crawled at a turtles pace.

Things picked up when [SPOILER] Tally arrives at the new Smoke, the city of Diego and discovers that things are much bigger than anyone had anticipated. However we're then quickly propelled into a war that ends up being more an act of terrorism and then we rush back to Tally's city where the final solution takes place quickly and mostly off screen. I liked the way things ended up going, but the getting their was tough and I would have liked to see it happen rather than hear about it.

This book wasn't terrible. It was probably even better than okay, but it was still disappointing and a step down from the second book, which was a major step down from the first. Sigh, if only things could have continued on with the same promise as 'Uglies'. Alas, it was not to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Specials.