Donna's Reviews > American Chick in Saudi Arabia

F_50x66
Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, non-western-culture
Read in July, 2012

How could I not read this snippet of a book? The author is from Troy, Alabama, not far from my mother's family farm between Clio and Louisville, AL.! Heard from a 1st cousin that another 1st cousin is an acquaintance of the author...

Curiosity about the author led me to read this title and it answered my primary question - How did she come to be in Saudi Arabia. (I'd read her 3 "princess" books years ago.)

Sasson traveled very far from her small town home and had adventures undreamable earlier in life. For that, I respect her. Most of us 1940s/1950s women were too meek to do such a thing.

I wish she had turned her experiences into fiction rather than non-fiction (which led to much controversy), as did many British women who went to India during the Imperial occupation of India. Rumer Godden comes to mind as one of the best writers of that genre.

I'm glad i found this book on my Nook Glowlight:-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Chick in Saudi Arabia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jean Sasson Whose your family? I'm curious to know... Jean

Donna Jean wrote: "Whose your family? I'm curious to know... Jean"

Hi, Jean,
The Baxters from Baxter's Station, between Louisville and Clio. A first cousin, Judy Baxter, told me that our first cousin Joe Frank Baxter knew you. Does that ring a bell?
My family left Alabama when I was 13 but we returned many, many times to Baxter's Station for family reunions. Most of the first cousins are still in touch. That's a lot since there were 8 of our parents who grew up at Baster's Station.
I enjoyed your books and following your adventurous life in this one. Thanks for writing them all.
Donna Meadows

Donna "Baxter's" not "Baster's"!

Jean Sasson Yes, Joe graduated in my same class in high school. It was a small class so most of us were very close and remain so to this day. I saw Joe last weekend, in fact. I have maintained my friendships with high school classmates and Joe is one I see quite often.

Glad you like my books. Sorry you didn't like CHICK better but I warned everyone that it was only an istallment and many people got upset about the length even after I warned them! Guess they didn't read that caution in the book! And, I like writing true stories as I feel they have so much more impact on the reader. But, some people just prefer fiction and that's understandable. Writers can take a lot of literary license with fiction that we cannot with non-fiction. I've had a great life and feel very fortunate to have grown up in a small town in the deep south and then got to travel the world. I thank you again, and hope you get to read more of my books. I'm finishing #11 at the moment! Take care, hello to your cousins. (Miss Louisa Baxter was my 2nd grade teacher and I'm sure she must be a relative, too!)

Donna Jean wrote: "Yes, Joe graduated in my same class in high school. It was a small class so most of us were very close and remain so to this day. I saw Joe last weekend, in fact. I have maintained my friendship..."

"Miss Louisa Baxter was my 2nd grade teacher and I'm sure she must be a relative, too."
Oh yes, she and her sister were revered in our family (older, kind and generous) and lived just down the road from my grandparent's place.

I adore Joe Frank! He's such an original and a character. He walked into my workplace one day a few months ago - in Austin, TX! He was in Fort Worth for a motorcycle rally and drove down for the day to surprise me. As my mother would say "A sweet ol' boy."

Jean Sasson Thanks, Teri! For me, ESTER'S CHILD is one of my favorites that I have written... I appreciate it! j

Donna Teri wrote: "If you're interested in historical fiction, you may want to read the book "Ester's Child" that Jean Sasson wrote. Very eye-opening!"

Thank you, Teri. I'll read it.
Donna