Mark Flowers's Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Sep 06, 12

Read in July, 2012

I'm a little shocked at some of the praise this book has been getting. I understand that people are impressed by the subject matter, but it's also been getting praise as being well written, with good dialog, and I thought those were two of the biggest holes in the book. I also thought there were some plot holes and unbelievable characters, but mostly I just thought it was very poorly written.

Update: some more of my thoughts on the writing here: http://crossreferencing.wordpress.com...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Monica Edinger I look forward to your comments on Heavy Metal come September:)

Mark Flowers wow - you got up your comment before I could even finish my review! See also Wendy's review, which I very much agreed with.

message 3: by Monica (last edited Jul 18, 2012 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monica Edinger I have no dog in this fight, really! Far more invested in some other titles than this one, but I did like it a lot more than I expected to and,clearly, a lot more than you and Wendy! I do truly look forward to Jonathan and Nina's take on it.

Mark Flowers Yeah - me too. I have a feeling the discussion may end up being reminiscent of last year's long battles over Okay For Now.

I actually don't have much of a dog in this fight either, though. I have no ill will for it whatsoever - just didn't like it much. oh well, I say.

Wendy I feel the same, Mark--I don't care about it that much one way or another, and kind of grumble in anticipation at the idea that I might find myself spending time coming down "against" it, if there's a lot of focus on this book. If I didn't know that there's already been a lot of Newbery speculation on this one, I wouldn't go into Heavy Medal expecting it to be a big topic of conversation either way. But who knows? I've read a lot of very good things this year--feels like a stronger field than we've had in a while.