Nafiza's Reviews > The Templeton Twins Have an Idea

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, edelweiss
Read from July 18 to 19, 2012

This middle grade novel is short, cheeky and easy to read. The novel has a very irreverent tone with the narrator informing us that he is clearly being put upon to write the story of the Templeton twins and it is not something he would have willingly done otherwise. The story itself is brisk and moves along at a rapid face with the conflicts being faced and resolved in quick succession. The funnest part of the novel were the end of the chapter review questions which were nothing of the sort and instead were free reign for the narrator to showcase his own wit.

I did feel that there was too much narrator interference in the novel – to its detriment. I wasn’t able to connect with the characters as I usually do because the narrator refused to let me and therefore I couldn’t really get behind any of the characters because they ended up being caricatures drawn up by the narrator and not characters.

However, the novel is short, amusing and has an amazing meatloaf recipe that I’d love to try out. I would comment on the art but they were pretty raw, just sketches really, in the e-arc form so I don’t think I’ve seen enough of it to form a conclusive opinion of them.

The novel is refreshingly innovative and should appeal to middle grade kids.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Templeton Twins Have an Idea.

07/18/2012
27.0% "So cheeky!"

Eden Wow, this sounds awesome! I can see how that narrator interference would bother you, but hopefully the rest of the novel makes up for it. Excited now. :)

Nafiza I'm curious about the finished copy cuz of the illustrations.

Eden Nafiza wrote: "I'm curious about the finished copy cuz of the illustrations."

Ooh, totally. This is why I love MG.