Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews's Reviews > The Mine

The Mine by John A. Heldt

1882027
Jul 18, 12

Read in July, 2012

Going back in time wasn't what Joel Smith had in mind when he and his friend Adam took a break from finals.

It was the year 2000 when he started his day and the year 1941 when his day ended. He had barely any money and only credit cards which definitely were of no use to him in 1941.

Joel found himself back in the time when everything moved slowly and without technology it moved even more slowly, but Joel made the best of the 1940's. In fact, things were working out very well for him after about a week.

I was reading this book while on a train across Pennsylvania to New York. It turned out to be the perfect book for this trip because of the nostalgic feel of the train and the adorable towns that whizzed by. It felt like I had been transported back to the 1940's for those 10 hours, and I loved it.

The author had plenty of humor, flashbacks, a great storyline, wonderful characters, and great detail. The characters were very likable, and it was easy to feel their pain, their sorrows, and their agony with decisions. It was a sweet, nostalgic trip back in time but turned a little eerie when Joel met future relatives. Joel did have some fun, though, when he could bet on fights and baseball games and win big in gambling games with others because he knew the outcomes.

This book was quite enjoyable. The author did a great job with the storyline and in keeping my interest. I am not sure I would have wanted to have been transported back to another time period, but it was perfect for a quick, delightful read. 5/5

I received this book free from the author in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Yvonne (Fiction Books) I have been very remiss in posting my own review of this book, however I can quite confidently say that my thoughts will pretty much mirror your own. A very even handed and thoughtful review :)

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Yvonne (Fiction Books) wrote: "I have been very remiss in posting my own review of this book, however I can quite confidently say that my thoughts will pretty much mirror your own. A very even handed and thoughtful review :)"

I read this a while ago, but it was a good read.

Yvonne (Fiction Books) Some four more books later, John has done with this, the 'Northwest Passage' series. I have just received a review copy of the first book ('September Sky')in the next series, the 'American Journey', so I am looking forward to reading that one :)