Anthony's Reviews > Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman by Alan Moore

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: batman
Read on July 18, 2012

So, chances are, you've heard of this book. Like Watchmen, it's a graphic novel that's popular amongst people who don't read comics on a regular, month to month, basis (I think society calls them 'normal', but I digress).

Having just re-read it for the third, possibly fourth time, I think it lives up to the hype it's surrounded by. Now, I'm not big on the idea of giving the Joker a detailed back story. I think he works better when there's ambiguity to his origin, which is one of the things I loved about Nolan's Dark Knight. But, even though we see his origin, Moore still throws the line "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be mulitple choice", which means the flashbacks we're seeing may or may not be what happened.

But, you know, it's comics. So whatever.

What I appreciated most this time round is the art. Bolland has a style that you don't see much in modern day comics. His panels are very detailed, with stuff often going on in the background that you might miss if you read through it too quickly. These were most likely scripted by Moore, but its great attention to detail that you don't get as much these days.

The edition I have (The Deluxe Edition released in 2008, when the Joker appeared in that movie you may have heard of, which I couldn't help but mention in this review) is completely re-coloured by Bolland, which makes it look modern and beautiful.

The art is also why I gave this book 5 stars, and not 4.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

Quotes Anthony Liked

Alan Moore
“If I have to have a past, then I prefer it to be multiple choice.”
Alan Moore, Batman: The Killing Joke