Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Firelight

Jul 18, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ya, fantasy, cover-love, 2016, shape-shifters
Read in January, 2016 — I own a copy

I'll say this upfront: Firelight is not good. An interesting premise - a species descended from dragons who live in tight-knit, protected communities and who are hunted by small groups of well-funded humans (we're talking helicopters here) - is made humdrum and clichéd by the plot and the rather dull, annoying protagonist.

Jacinda is a draki; her true form is her dragon one, and as a dragon she can breathe fire, making her rare amongst her kind. When the draki elders want to force her into a marriage that her mother strongly disagrees with after Jacinda is nearly caught by hunters, Jacinda and her twin sister are taken by their mother out into the human world, to live as humans. While her sister was born human (since they are meant to be a different species, how this possible is never explained), living in the human world will turn Jacinda human in time, as her 'draki' fades (this, too, isn't adequately explained - it's like saying, Okay, you were born gay, but if you go and live amongst heterosexuals all that gayness will just slowly disappear entirely! You could exchange 'gay' with 'black', 'Chinese' - take your pick).

And of course, biggest cliché of them all, at her new all-American school (as every high school in every YA novel is: I could predict the arrangement of desks, the ridiculous teaching pedagogy and the cliques) Jacinda meets the hunter, Will, who nearly caught her but let her go, who is of course her own age and very attractive. And his cousins, also hunters, are mean thugs, bullies and sinister. And, of course, Jacinda just has to get involved with him despite the danger, and despite him saying - another cliché - that he's too dangerous to get involved with. I'm not sure how I made it through this book, probably just because I hate leaving things unfinished, but suffice it to say I won't be continuing with this series. Oh yes, there are more books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.

01/25/2016 marked as: read